Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween Hootenanny - First Impressions: The Whip and the Body (Mario Bava, 1963)


We're not done with Italian horror yet folks... not by a long shot. Today's movie is also another gothic number, and one I've been meaning to get around to for at least a couple of years now... and I couldn't for the life of me tell you why it's taken me so long. Celebrating its 50th anniversary this year is Mario Bava's The Whip and the Body...


Essentially a tale of sadomasochistic sexual shenanigans, murder and revenge from beyond the grave, the film stars Christopher Lee as a nobleman who returns home and soon starts seriously stirring the proverbial shit and generally terrorising his family. He enters into a relationship with his sister-in-law (Daliah Lavi), who is, it turns out, actually rather kinky, or so we gather from her reaction when he ends up flogging the crap out of her. All of this provocation (whether seemingly welcomed or not) was probably not the best of ideas though, as the dude soon ends up dead as disco.... that is, until his ghostly apparition starts appearing to the young lady of course...



As is usually the case when first watching a Bava film, I find myself so thoroughly mesmerised by the visuals (which are characteristically spectacular here) that much of the finer detail regarding plot tends to slip by me. But generally speaking, I'm frankly kicking myself for waiting so long to check it out... this is an absolute must see for anyone with an interest in Italian horror... though it's perhaps not the best title to check out if you're new to Bava. Needless to say, Christopher Lee absolutely owns his role and his imposing presence is ideal for a film as strikingly stylish as Bava's. And I love the music by Carlo Rustichelli, much of which is later reused in Kill, Baby...Kill!, which is currently my favourite Bava film. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this was cut to ribbons upon its US release... I can't imagine how audiences would have reacted to it half a century ago... some of its content is still somewhat shocking and subversive even now. I'm highly looking forward to revisiting this and digging further beneath its skin... as with much of Bava's work, I've no doubt this will reward repeated viewings.


And finally, remember that the Italian Horror Blogathon starts tomorrow over at Hugo Stiglitz Makes Movies! So watch this space for my first contribution...

No comments:

Post a Comment